Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Challenge Continues...

Only 1-1/2 Weeks left before The Beast. I will say that as far as training goes, I’ve been consistent with my schedule to this point. As of today, I am extremely tired physically (but most of that is due to our beloved dog barking all night – if anyone wants a 1 year old puppy let me know and she’s yours). That’s the good news about my training. The bad news is, or could be, is whether or not my training regimen will be enough to complete The Beast with any energy left. After reflecting a bit on my training up to this point, I must say that I’m pretty impressed with the way that my body is handling the abuse that I’m placing on it. I can’t seem to wrap my mind around the idea of training for a half marathon (with obstacles) in 3 weeks. I can’t find anything or anybody that says this is possible or a good idea. Oh well for common logic. I have been able to go from ZERO cardio (no running, no walking, etc…) to 5 mile runs in 1-1/2 weeks. Unbelievable. My goal is to get my mileage up to around 8 miles the week of the event. I figure if I can complete 8 miles by next Tuesday, I can make up the remaining 4 miles by pure adrenaline and motivation. For the record, I am getting bored with my long distance days. They don’t seem to be too challenging. I simply don’t like the time it takes to complete the required miles, they bore me. I enjoy the challenges of the physical training more than the distance running. So for this reason, I am excited about the event next week. I find myself watching videos of previous races and thinking: “man that looks like fun”. I don’t even think about the distance of the event, but the obstacles and how we’ll conquer them. Yes, I will be a muddy mess. Who cares?! Yes, I will be in pain. So what?! I’ve been in pain every day since I started training. Yes, I will be physically exhausted. So be it! I can’t tell you how excited I am at the challenge of completing such an event. I looked at my training schedule, and I only have 6 days of training left (not including my rest days). It’s crazy to think that in 10 days, I will be putting my body and mind through the most demanding thing I’ve ever asked it to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment