Thursday, October 11, 2012

And here comes the nerves

And now here comes the nerves. I had a little bit of a stomach bug for the last 24 hours, and after reassessing my diet I came to the conclusion that it was nothing I ate. So what’s the culprit? I believe it's nerves. I’ve never committed to anything like this before, or attempted it, so I’m a little nervous. I also learned that technically we can’t transfer my bud’s registration over to me, so we have to get creative on the morning of the race. As for my training goes, I couldn’t be happier considering the short time frame that I’ve had to prepare myself for this event. My long distance goal was 8 miles this week, which I was able to do on Tuesday. That was the longest distance I’ve ever attempted to run, and I finished it feeling strong and elated that I was able to accomplish this distance in a little over 2 weeks of training. As for the present, I only have one more training day (today), and then it’s a day of rest before the event. I’ve been carb loading for 2 days now to prepare my body for the abuse that it’s going to take this Saturday. As I write this, by this time on Saturday, I should be finished with the event. This means I am less than 48 hours away from my trial. I will be honest and admit that I am feeling both excited and nervous about the event. I can’t imagine the sense of satisfaction that I will have when I cross the finish line. I’ve never, or ever will, work so hard for a t-shirt, medal and a beer in my life. I definitely want the shirt and medal, but I don’t think a beer will be very appetizing after 12+ miles of hell. Maybe I can sell it to the highest bidder?! It’s pretty much all just a technicality at this point after my work out tonight. It is what it is. I’ve trained as much as I could in 3 weeks. I’ve prepared my mind as much as I can in 3 weeks. It’s all up to performance at this point. The one factor, well two factors, that I can’t account for is the fear factor and the adrenaline factor once we get started. Let’s be honest, 12 miles is a long freaking distance to cover. Not to mention the obstacles. Anyone that's compeated in athletics understand that there's the adreneline factor that you can never predict. Just being surrounded by all those other athletes gets the blood pumping, and the desire to rise to the occasion no matter how much pain you're in, is what I'm counting on to propell me to the finish. To quote a motivation tune that I’ve listened to for 3 weeks: “I’ve trained my mind, and my body will follow”. We’ll see how it goes on Saturday. I’m stoked to do this and I am extremely excited to see how we do. I may post one more before the race, but I will definitely be posting after the Spartan Beast! Aroo!

No comments:

Post a Comment