Monday, August 31, 2009

Farewell to my dear friend Newton


I write tonight with an extremely heavy heart! My wife and I had to suddenly say our goodbyes to our faithful Yorkie, Newton, yesterday afternoon. He was diagnosed with congestive heart failure last week, and was put on medication. For the majority of the week his health was doing great, but we had a horrific turn of events over the weekend. Little did we know that it would be our last with our best friend.
I know many people would say that "he's just a dog", and you're probably right to some extent. But the truth is, he was more than just a pet to our family. Sara was given Newton when her sister couldn't keep him any longer, due to the birth of their first son. He's been by my wife's side for 8 long years, and had never let her go through an ordeal alone. When she had a horrible day, he was there. When she had a great day, he was there. When she was sick, he was there! Anyone that met Newton knew that he was a special dog. He had that special "it" quality that just made your day brighter, no matter what you were going through.
Newton was the sweetest, most dedicated friend that anyone could have hoped for in a dog. Sara and I joked that he was the reason I dated her because we became attached so quickly. I loved that little guy more than any other pet I've ever had, or probably will. I don't think our family will ever get over him, and will miss him every day for the rest of our lives! I know it's supposed to get easier as time goes on, but right now there's nothing that we want more than to have our Newton back for just one more day! I'm going to miss the smile that he brought to Sara's face, and the joy he put in our hearts.
We appreciate every body's comments, and couldn't have a better group of friends and family members. We will forever miss Newton! There will always be a missing piece in my heart for my "little man". I'll miss you buddy!

4 comments:

  1. I know how you feel.. our first "furry child" - Madison still has a place in our hearts, we had her for 13 years - thru college, early DINK years, then she died when Caroline was 18 mo old. So hard to lose them. We still can't really talk about her much w/o a lump in our throats and a heavy heart. Some dogs are just special little angels that God sends when we need them. We have two "children w/ fur" now and they are both awesome but neither are Madison...

    I hope you and your wife will find peace soon!

    Debbie Wilson Citta

    ReplyDelete
  2. we will all miss newton very much, he was such a special dog, he gave our Sara such joy and comfort in her life, I know that newton knows that yours have beautiful Isabella, and he's so happy that yours are so blessed with a special little girl to give your love to. He knows first hand the love that you and Sara have for one another and everything that touches your lives. Newton will always be in our hearts.
    So sorry for your Loss,
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved Newton. My wife and I are true animal lovers and recently had to put our dog Ally to sleep after 15 years. I truly view our pets as one of the family and to this day my oldest daughter will blow kisses to the moon and tell Ally that she loves her but knows that it was her time to go to heaven. It still tugs at my heart every time she does it. I never met Newton but can tell from your kind words that his life and your lives were full of love.
    Kevin Halligan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just stumbled onto this web page and read your blog... I have 2 dogs (Both Yorkies) Oscar and Shelby. Shelby is a good dog and have had her longer than Oscar but... Oscar is the best, the most awesome dog and still dont understand what I did to deserve him! He is only about 2 years old and have thought about "that" day. I will be absolutely crushed, devastated! I feel for you, dont know you but hope things are getting better for you.

    ReplyDelete