Thursday, December 11, 2008

Welcome, and Merry Christmas

Well, where to begin? I was looking for a release for all of the things going on in my noodle lately, and decided to start my own blog! Wow, what a crazy step. In case we've been out of touch over the past couple of years, I've been on quite a journey. I can't take credit for it of course, but looking back I can see clearly the intricacies of why I am where I am. My wife Sara and I are eagerly anticipating our first child. Our little girl will be born sometime around the end of March. We are planning on naming her Isabella Lee Davis (Lee after both of our mothers). I can't express how excited we are. I must say though, there is a lot of pink arriving at the house! The nursery will be under construction very soon (pictures to follow).
I can't end this first blog without giving props to my new found home in Newspring Church (www.newspring.cc), and all of the people that I serve with on a weekly basis (you guys rock!). Now, let me try and explain to those of you who may read this and aren't familiar with the church that Sara and I are members of. Those that read this and attend Newspring understand, and also know how hard it is to explain and describe Newspring to someone who's never been there (can I hear amens out there?) I have the sentiments of our pastor, meaning, I'll talk to anyone about anything. But if you don't take over the conversation, I am going to start talking about Newspring. Quick story: Sara and I were somewhat looking for a church, but we weren't kicking the doors in trying to find it. A great friend of mine that I worked with kept coming in every Monday saying "You're not going to believe what they did this weekend..." I've always considered myself a Christian (who in the South doesn't) but had never heard anyone speak of their Church with such enthusiasm. So we decided to try it out and see for ourselves in August of 2007. God's timing couldn't have been any better because I don't think it would've had the impact it did if we didn't go during the series they were in. Now, to explain a "series" to those that are unfamiliar, it is anywhere between 2-6 weeks of a particular subject that our Pastor addresses. I'll never forget walking in late one Sunday, our 3rd week visiting, and the lights were dimming. Sara was scurrying ahead to find an usher to get a seat, and I heard a familiar piano intro hook. As I was literally screaming over the music, trying to get Sara's attention, I stopped dead in my tracks and said to myself: "No way!" The band was opening up with Lincoln Park's "What I've Done". Ok, this is an extremely secular song being blasted over the speakers as the band was inviting everyone to worship. I thought, "this is my kind of church". I've never listened to this song and not thought about that morning. It still brings me chills. After visiting Newspring for several weeks, I finally "got it", thanks to our extremely annointed pastor Perry Noble. I always believed that being a Christian meant going to church to punch your attendance card, believing there is a God, and do your best. I was a Christian that was based on works and the belief that God would forgive me for the things that I did, because I meant well and went to Church when I could. I never imagined the journey that I would begin by simply checking out a church. For example, I've never enjoyed reading. I have an odd condition in both eyes and it's always bothered me to read for long periods of time. I can't read enough now. I can't watch enough evangelists on tv, I can't listen to enough services on Podcasts, I simply can't get enough information. God has made up so much lost time in my life by craming information in me at every turn. I truely understand what it means to be "on fire" for Jesus. I could go on and on, but will save that for the next post.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurray, Derek! I'm very happy for you that you've found an amazing church home and that you've found the joy that Christ brings when He really gets ahold of your life!

    Wendy Miller

    ReplyDelete